Giuseppe Verdi – I Due Foscari
Recorded in Viena on June, 1976
About the Opera:
I due Foscari (The Two Foscaris) is an opera in three acts by Giuseppe Verdi to an Italian libretto by Francesco Maria Piave, based on a historical play, The Two Foscari by Lord Byron. As a subject, Verdi had been considering the Byron play as early as 1843, but it was rejected by La Fenice in Venice as unsuitable, due to the fact that parts of it criticized the actions of the Venetian Republic, which included surviving members of the the Foscari family. And because aspects of the opera proposed for Rome on the subject of Lorenzino de’ Medici were not approved, Foscari was substituted and was given at the Teatro Argentina in Rome on November 3, 1844.
The first performances in the UK were given in London at Her Majesty’s Theatre on 10 April 1847. In the US, the opera was first presented in Boston on 10 May 1847. Paris saw a production in December 1846 at the Théatre des Italiens and it was taken up by several major Italian opera houses.
In modern times Foscari has received occasional productions. However, the Opera Orchestra of New York has presented concert versions three times: the first in October 1981 with Renato Bruson in the title role; the second in April 1992 with Vladimir Chernov as the Doge; and the third in December 2007, this time with Paolo Gavanelli as the Doge.
La Scala presented it in 1988, also with Renato Bruson, a version which is available on DVD; also there is a DVD of the 2000 performances given by the Teatro San Carlo in Naples. Florida’s Sarasota Opera gave performances in March 2008 as part of its “Verdi Cycle”. The Royal Opera House presented the opera in June 1995 with Vladimir Chernov and June Anderson in the major roles.
It appears in the programs of the 2008/09 seasons of La Scala and the Bilbao Association of Lovers of Opera (ABAO) in Bilbao, Spain.
01. Preludio (2:26)
02. Act One – Silenzio (4:07)
03. Qui ti rimani…Brezza del suol natio (2:07)
04. Dal più remoto esilio (2:33)
05. Odio solo, ed odio atroce (2:23)
06. No…mi lasciate (1:47)
07. Tu al cui sguardo onnipossente (3:22)
08. Che mi rechi¿ (2:48)
09. Tacque il reo! (2:02)
10. Eccomi solo alfine.. (1:46)
11. O vecchio cor, che batti (2:38)
12. L’illustre dama Foscari (1:26)
13. Tu pur lo sai (3:29)
14. Di sua innocenza dubiti? (4:04)
01. Act Two – Preludio (1:27)
02. Notte! perpetua notte (2:10)
03. Non maledirmi, o prode (2:03)
04. Ah, sposo mio! (2:47)
05. No, non morrai (3:14)
06. Tutta è calma la laguna…Spernaza dolce ancora (4:26)
07. Ah, padre! (1:56)
08. Nel tuo paterno amplesso (3:37)
09. Addio.. (1:45)
10. Ah sì, il tempo (2:23)
11. Che più si tarda¿ (2:25)
12. O patrizi.. (3:35)
13. Queste innocenti lagrime (4:31)
14. Act Three – Alla gioia! (2:07)
15. Tace il vento (3:11)
16. Donna infelice (2:14)
17. All’infelice veglio (4:01)
18. Egli ora parte (4:10)
19. Più non vive! (3:08)
20. Signor, chiedon parlarti (2:49)
21. Questa è dunque l’iniqua mercede (3:12)
22. Che venga a me, se lice…Quel bronzo infernale (5:48)
mp3, 320 kbps, cd ripping, 106:59 minutes.Covers, info & synopsis included.